A Letter to the Editor: Student Assembly Does Not Represent Staples Students

A Letter to the Editor: Student Assembly Does Not Represent Staples Students

Graphic by Nate Rosen '14

Jacob Meisel

Dear Inklings,

I think that the Staples Student Assembly is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the hearts and minds of the student body. Before I go into detail about this organization, I will explain what it is; I assume that the majority of Staples High School students were unaware of it before the exorbitant numbers of posters proclaiming its existence were placed around the school two weeks ago.

Apparently, Student Assembly is an organization, sometimes picked by elections, that is supposed to represent the student body. However, only the classes of 2012 and 2013 has ever even voted in Student Assembly elections—the other classes don’t even have enough candidates for Student Assembly to fill up the ballot sheet. Thus, one would be hard-pressed to call them a representative body in the first place.

But definitions aside, Student Assembly only continues to matter less and less to students, which is a trend that is unacceptable for a high school of Staples’s caliber. This is mainly due to the fact that there have been minimal major positive accomplishments in the history of the organization, and thus the student body has very little to look up to the assembly for.

Their main accomplishment each year tends to be the talent show, which I will give them credit for, as they have actually held a talent show each year I have been at Staples. The credit stops there, though. Let’s take a look at last year’s talent show. Remember, the one that ended with a hundred seniors jumping and down on the auditorium stage? Now that truly is talent if I’ve ever seen it. The talent in the show was often quite good. The coordinating of it leaving hundreds of kids late for buses and having to cut out a kid’s act? Not so much.

Another idea I’ve heard Student Assembly try and fight for is a Pop Tart toaster in the cafeteria. However, they could get nothing done there because apparently they do not have the “authority”, or money, to put a toaster in the cafeteria, according to one SA member who asks to remain anonymous due to the nature of the subject. Not only that, but now Pop Tarts, one of the most delicious breakfast foods in the cafeteria, have been removed from the cafeteria’s food selection. Nice representing, Student Assembly.

One of the biggest problems I currently have with the organization is that the very people they are supposed to represent do not support them: the Staples students. An Inklings poll, which was taken two years ago and surveyed 100 students during a lunch wave, showed that 52% of the students were dissatisfied with how Student Assembly acts. The other 48% reported that they were “indifferent” to the activities of Student Assembly. This is simply inexcusable for an organization that is supposed to be one of the most important in the school. They have no major accomplishments that students mention, and have become irrelevant to the point that the student body does not care about them. I challenge the Student Assembly this year to change that, as we as students deserve better.

It is for these reasons that some real changes would need to be made to the organization. I am not saying that it cannot be saved. Nor am I calling out this year’s student assembly. I am simply saying that currently they are irrelevant because they cannot get anything positive accomplished.

I dearly hope that this year’s Assembly can make a difference, because there are many changed both myself and many others would like to see. If not, we will see that major change is needed. Whether it is through a new club, major reforms of internal structure, actual elections (with campaigns and speeches), or a student representative on the Board of Education, I am unsure. Whatever it is, the students of Staples High School have a right to a functioning representative body that conveys our beliefs to the administration and Board of Education. And Student Assembly is most definitely not that.

Sincerely,
Jacob Meisel ’13

Editor’s note: Jacob Meisel is a junior at Staples and a member of Staples Student Assembly.