Super Bowl LI Recap: Patriots Stun Falcons in Historic Overtime Finish

Staff Sgt/Kristi Machado
The 2009 US Air Force Thunderbirds fly over Superbowl XLIII in Tampa, Fla., Feb. 2. (RELEASED)

By Daniel Harizman ’19

The New England Patriots completed the largest comeback in Super Bowl history, beating the Atlanta Falcons 34-28 in Super Bowl LI late Sunday night in Houston’s NRG Stadium.

The Patriots scored 31 unanswered points to secure the first ever Super Bowl overtime victory. Finishing 43/62 with 466 yards, two touchdowns and one interception, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady sealed his NFL record setting fifth super bowl win and fourth Super Bowl MVP award.

Many Staples High School students watched the game glued to their couches alongside friends and family. Some students, however, were lucky enough to attend the game in Houston.

“When it was 28-3 I twisted my dad’s hat inside glaring wistfully at the jumbotron above me. The rally cap was extremely effective,” Ziggy Hallgarten ’17, longtime Patriots fan, said. “Only two words can describe this night: unimaginable and unbelievable.”

On the other side of the ball, Falcons quarterback and NFL MVP, Matt Ryan, came out of the gates strong on offense ending the first half seven for eight, with 115 yards in the air, a touchdown and a perfect passer rating of 158.3. Wide receiver Julio Jones ended the game with four receptions for 87 yards, including two toe tapping sideline grabs in moments of desperation.

“Truthfully the Falcons deserved the win tonight,” football fanatic Samantha Pacilio ’19 stated. “They came out of the gate much stronger and with much more energy; their players were more physical, but I guess sometimes we just have to accept the power of momentum as football fans.”

Momentum started to shift as the Patriots offense began to rally late in the third quarter. In addition to Tom Brady, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola and James White played key roles in the noteworthy fourth quarter rally.

“During the comeback, all eyes were on Brady and not many fans were paying attention to the perhaps less important, but equally as crucial, role players such as White or Amendola,” Max Mahr ’ 19 explained.

The New England Patriots will return to Boston and hold the traditional Super Bowl parade on Tuesday Feb. 7 at 11 A.M on Boylston Street.

“I think tonight’s game shocked the world,” Elle Fair ’19 said. “The comeback that the Pats had made history, and you can’t ever lose faith in them because number 12 always has something up his sleeve.”

Photo used under the Creative Commons License