2012 Valedictorian and Salutatorian Announced

On Mon. Feb 13 the valedictorian and salutatorian were announced for the class of 2012. With the highest GPAs in the senior class, Matt Silver has been named the valedictorian, and Carolyn Chen the salutatorian. Karyn Morgan, vice principal had only the best things to say about Silver and Chen. “They are absolutely lovely young people. They represent citizenship and academics to the greatest extent,” Morgan said.

Chen was surprised that she was awarded this honor. “I wasn’t expecting anything at all out of my grades. I mean, there are so many brilliant and talented people in my grade.” For 7 semesters both students have worked hard, but have also enjoyed their Staples experience through and through.

Per tradition, Chen will make her speech at the baccalaureate ceremony, and Silver at graduation. “I’m really thrilled to have this honor. A lot of students and teachers have not only congratulated me but also told me how much they respect me as a person, and that means a lot. In return, I’m asking other seniors what ideas they’d like to hear presented in the speech so I can represent as much of the class as possible” Silver said. Chen concurs with Silver but being salutatorian for her is even more special because there hasn’t been a girl in the top two for the last few years, until now. “I am extremely proud and delighted to represent my senior class as Salutatorian, next to Matt Silver, who is not only extremely smart but also a good friend,” Chen said.

For their eighth and last semester at Staples both Silver and Chen will continue working hard and preparing themselves for college, while also continuing their legacies as hard workers and great citizens.

View Comments (3)