Rotary Four Way Speech Contest Sends Three Stapleites to Westport Finals

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld once said in a standup routine that “according to most studies, people’s number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death…This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you’re better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.”

However, for nine Staples students, public speaking is far from first on the list of phobias.

On Wednesday, Jan. 4, each of the nine students gave a five to seven minute speech for the Westport and Sunrise Rotary Four Way Speech Contest, in which their performance integrated the following four questions:

1. Is it the truth?
  2. Is it fair to all concerned?
  3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
  4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

Some tackled the education system, others affirmative action or the Federal Reserve System. Though minutes after the five judges deliberated, health teacher Kelly Garrity announced the three finalists: Mark Schwabacher ’13, Andrew Bowles ’13, and Everett Sussman ’15.

Schwabacher addressed volunteerism in politics, Bowles spoke about the Stop Online Piracy Act, and Sussman talked about compassion and loving other people.

The preparation for the speeches seemed to differ. Some contestants put time and effort into the writing, revising, and practicing of their speeches.

“I got really focused on writing my speech, and spent…from like 8 to 2 in the morning the night before it was due,” Schwabacher said. “This sounds ridiculous, but I actually practiced my speech while sitting on one of those gigantic medicine ball rubber thingies. I swear it helps me concentrate.”

However, Bowles had a different idea of preparation, or lack thereof. Bowles approached the podium with nothing but a half sheet of notes on college ruled paper.

“I wrote the wording of the [Rotary test] in physics. This is always how I go into speeches to be honest. I can’t read pre-written speeches or I trip over my words—if I show up with a few thoughts on a page or even without that, I tend to be more fluent,” Bowles said.

The Westport finals, in which each finalist will deliver the same speech as given on Jan. 4, will take place on Jan. 17 at 4 p.m. in the Westport Town Hall auditorium.

The winner will then advance to the Rotary District semifinals on Jan. 29 at Fairfield University. The three selected winners from the Fairfield semifinal will continue on to the final contest in New Haven on Feb. 11.

The first place speaker receives $500, and the second and third speakers receive $300 and $200, respectively.