Girls Field Hockey Ties Against Warde in Third Scrimmage of the Season

Staples defense played their hardest against Warde’s strong offensive line. Here goalie Jodie Baris ‘15 took a tumble in attempts of stopping a goal. Talk about commitment.
Photo by Abbey Fernandez

It was a sunny Friday afternoon; 75 degrees, a slight breeze, and a perfect day for a field hockey scrimmage on Staples’ Ginny Parker Field.

The Varsity team played against Fairfield Warde on Friday Sept. 6th, and although Warde’s defense was relentless, the Staples girls held their own,which ultimately ended the game in a 1-1 tie.

The game had plenty of aggression coming from both sides. It was evident that neither team was giving up or losing strength. Warde made their one goal in the first half. As a result, Staples played stronger in the second half, knowing they needed a goal to tie the score up.

Elizabeth Bennewitz ’15, who has been on the team since she was a freshman, made the beautiful shot that made it clear to Warde that Staples was not going down without a fight.

“We all were so excited when we realized she made a goal. Those are the best moments of the game, the nail biting shots that result in goals,” said Maggie Fair ’15.

It was not just the defensive line that was responsible for thwarting Warde’s potential goals. Varsity goalie, Jodie Baris ’15, did not let their multiple shots scare her.

“We’ve been improving from scrimmage to scrimmage and are starting to get used to playing together. I’m hoping to keep up this momentum throughout the rest of the season,” said Meghan Fox ’14

The captains of this fierce team include Elizabeth Coogan ’14, Issy Pieper ’14, Meghan Fox ’14, and Kathryn Lieder ’14.

If a scrimmage was this exciting, the team is bound to have a thrilling season led by their two coaches Ashley Delvecchio, a police officer, and Kristin Schulz, an English teacher here at Staples.

“We still have technical skills to work on, but we are definitely ready to play and win our season’s games,” said captain Elizabeth Coogan ’14.

The Varsity field hockey team plays their first game on Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Staples stadium. Show your support for a team who has worked incredibly hard in hopes of a rewarding season.