Parents…have got it goin’ on

Fountain of Wayne sings, “Stacy’s mom has got it going on.”

Big Sean raps, “I love me some of yo mama, oh true that.”

Will.I.Am asks, “Baby, where’d you get your body from?” Fergie replies, “I got it from my mama.”

This past June “The Today Show” held a “Hottest Dads Contest” in which more than 1500 dads entered to win.

All this evidence suggests that perhaps mothers and fathers, good ol’ ma and pa, can be hot?

Yes, you read that correctly. We’re talking about that mom who annoys you about grades, that dad who sweats profusely while dancing at bar mitzvahs. They may grocery shop, undertake dreaded yard work, and even rock “mom jeans” or sensible shoes. Yet apparently, despite their A.C. (after children) status, some parents still got “it.”

It all started back in the 60s with the coveted Mrs. Robinson from “The Graduate.” Ever since then, the concept of hot moms and dads seems to have flourished, particularly in the media. Take, for example, the women on “The Real Housewives “series or Gloria from “Modern Family.” The movement, “No Excuse Mom,” was established in 2013 and encourages mothers to make fitness a priority in their life. The group even published a 2014 Swimsuit calendar filled with hot, fit and expert multi-tasking moms. It’s not just strictly moms, dads are in on it, too. Buzzfeed, a popular website amongst teenagers published an official “The 23 Hottest Dads of all Time” list in 2013. And recently there was a Yahoo article titled “David Beckham vs. Chris Hemsworth: Who’s the Hotter Dad?”

The media appears to be accepting of attractive moms and dads, and apparently, this rare species can be found at the local level as well.

“Hot moms seem to be pretty common in Staples, likely due to the increased amount of time and money spent on beauty and fitness,” Ian Barsanti ’14 said.

But is it just moms? Apparently not, according to Maggie Fair ’15.

“My friends always joke about my dad being hot,” Fair said, “they will say that they’ll only come over if my dad will be home or  ‘how do I look before coming over.”

Daniella Mattera ‘15 is just one of Maggie’s friends who crushes on Matthew Fair.

“I always try to say things to make Maggie feel uncomfortable,” Mattera said.

However, it’s not always uncomfortable for the kids of these hot moms or dads.

For example, Camille Shuken ’15 is said to have a hot mom, Monica. Shuken explains that she is so used to her friends’ jokes by now that she is able to laugh about it. And apparently her mom does too.

“She thinks it’s hilarious when guys in my grade tell her they just broke up with their girlfriends,” Shuken said.

But for others, it’s not so funny. Stepsisters Sloane Cooper ’15 and Paige Murray ’15 agree that it can be pretty weird when their friends joke about their hot dad, Lee.

Whether students with hot parents find it entertaining or strange, they can all agree on one thing for sure: it is awkward.

Amelia Heisler ’15 says it is quite awkward when her friends catch a glimpse of her attractive dad.

“When he picks me up people just give me a wide-eyed look and whisper ‘your dad,’”  Heisler said, “how am I supposed to respond to that?”

It also can get awkward if the good-looking parent ever overhears the admiring teenagers.

“One time my two friends were over and they were talking about how my dad is hot, and he walked in,” Cooper ’15 said.

Oof… awkward.

So research shows that the old ball and chain can occasionally be “hot.” Just remember though, those are the same people who once changed diapers, nag us about studying, and listen to WEBE 108. Ain’t nothing hot about that.