Back in Blue: Everybody Scream Ice Cream Truck Returns for Summer 2013

The essence of summer is perfectly captured by the harmonious sound of a classic ice cream truck bell.

Trucks may seem outdated system, as supermarkets and parlors now dominate ice cream sales, however Jon Camche and Ricky Snyder, 2011 Staples graduates, appreciate their timelessness.

As a result, these two owners of Everybody Scream Ice Cream are planning their third summer of ice cream sales around Westport, though the truck this year is no longer yellow, but rather bright blue.

Snyder and Camche were looking for lucrative jobs in the summer before college when they decided to rent a 1964 Chevy milk truck for $400 a week and transform it into the ultimate ice cream shop on wheels. When asked why they plan to return for a third summer, Camche replied, “because we love what we do! Our town enjoys the company of Everybody Scream Ice Cream and it pleases us to serve Westport in such a way.”

Jamie Camche, Jon’s mom, explains that the most challenging part of owning an ice cream truck business is inventory control. “If you have too much inventory, you lose your profit margin. If you don’t help have enough inventory, you will not be able to sustain the market demand,” says Jamie.

The ice cream truck business caters to specific events (i.e. birthday parties, summer barbeques, and corporate events) as well as completes daily cycles around town. While the truck primarily sells ice cream, candy and other beverages are also available. Seven days a week Camche and Snyder drive around looking to find customers in need of a sweet summer refreshment.

Given their ability to return, it appears as though each summer they find plenty of customers. “Last year on the last day of school the truck came without us [her friends] even having to make special arrangements. They were so friendly and easy,” Maggie Fair ’15 says of the truck.

The most popular sellers tend to be Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches and Firecrackers. Among younger kids, the classic Spongebob Squarepants and Spiderman Pops are real favorites.

About working all summer with a close friend, Camche says, “Ricky and I mesh well together. Working with my best friend makes time fly during those hot summer days.”

So keep your ears open for the jingle and your eyes open for the bright blue truck driven by two entrepreneurial Staples students alums satisfying Westport’s summer sweet tooth.