Will Gatsby be Great?

Many+students+at+Staples+have+read+The+Great+Gatsby+and+are+excited+to+see+the+new+adaptation+of+it.+%0D%0APhoto+by+Claire+Lewin++
Many students at Staples have read “The Great Gatsby” and are excited to see the new adaptation of it. Photo by Claire Lewin

Leonardo DiCaprio is just one of those film stars who can’t help but make every teenage girl scream. And when I say teenage girl, I also mean all their mothers and grandmothers. No matter what movie DiCaprio is in, it seems as though much of the audience is there just to look at his pretty face.

On May 10th it is expected that everyone will be hearing the screams of a million girls as they sit in for the midnight premier of the newest rendition of the classic novel, “The Great Gatsby”, featuring none other than the beautiful Leo.

Although the movie may be well received, critics have been harsh on past renditions.

In regard to the 1974 version featuring Robert Redford, The New Republic said, “In sum this picture is a total failure of every requisite sensibility. A long, slow, sickening bore.” The New York Times also said that the movie was “frivolous without being much fun.”

Some Staples students also agree with these critiques and believe that the Redford version was not quite up to par.

“The movie was a little awkward due to the fact that the characters were obviously acting and stare a lot,” said Faith Garcia ’14.

On the contrary, there are also other Staples students who were able to look past the over-acting and the awkward staring and find that the movie was actually quite enjoyable.

“I really liked the first movie,” said Jacqueline Devine ’13. “I though the set was beautiful and it executed the book well.”

Most readers of the novel, whether they were a fan of the first movie or not, are excited to see the newest rendition of “The Great Gatsby” brought to life by Baz Luhrmann.

“I am very excited for the new movie,” said Zoey Atlis ’14. “I love the cast, and I love how they are making it almost seem futuristic, even though it is set almost a 100 years ago.”

The newest film version of “The Great Gatsby” has been a long anticipated event, and, with any luck, film critics and Staples students will both be pleased by the production. And if the movie is to be a failure, at least we will all get to see Leonardo DiCaprio for 143 minutes.