August 24, 2011 | Even the Shrubs are Getting in Shape

1:57 p.m.  Juan Villeda of Executive Landscapers makes sure that the courtyard bushes are ready for student arrivals on Aug. 30.

Kelsey Shockey, Web Sports Editor
Though she may flaunt skirts and cardigans in every hue of pink, Kelsey Shockey’s ’14 girly presence is not to be misconstrued. The Staples Senior’s true passion is sports. Since the age of five, Shockey has devoted herself to playing tennis year round. Currently a member of the girls’ varsity team, Shockey hopes to pursue the sport in college. “I love tennis because it is like performing on a stage and the spotlight is on you,” Shockey said. However, Shockey isn’t just getting attention on the courts. Since her freshman year, she has been involved in the Staples Television Network (STN), providing coverage for sports events. “I was never a great speaker in middle school or elementary school because I was so shy. But now I’ve come out of my shell,” Shockey said. “STN changed everything.” Dreaming of one day gracing national television, she hopes to study communications with an emphasis on broadcast journalism. Combining her love for sports and communications, it’s no wonder that Shockey is a perfect fit as one of Inkling’s Web Sports Editors. Full of exuberance and enthusiasm, she loves that she can “connect with people” through her writing. Shockey’s proudest work is “Explosion at Boston Marathon,” the first breaking news story she has ever written for Inklings. With a strong work ethic as well as a flare for sports and broadcasting, Shockey is sure to be a valuable addition to this year’s Inklings staff.