Football Gears Up For a Thanksgiving Day FCIAC Championship Game

It’s the biggest game of the season. Stakes are high and the pressure is on. There is nothing more important to a team than the title, ‘FCIAC champions’.

This year, Staples matches up to the 2nd ranked team, Greenwich on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 10 A.M. This means while people are preparing for their thanksgiving feasts, members of the football team will be gearing up for their big FCIAC championship game.

The nearing break and holiday doesn’t seem to be resulting in a loss of focus, or a damper of spirits. The boys are ready to face Greenwich head on, hopefully coming out with a victory.

“I am so excited for the game on Thursday,” said Bo Gibson ’12, captain of the Wreckers. “I have been playing with my teammates for almost 10 years now, and it has always been our goal to win an FCIAC championship.”

Last FCIAC champions in 2009, this team has a lot of expectations to fulfill. Head Coach Marce Petroccio is turning up the pressure for this game.

“These teams are mirror images. We both have a great defense, and a high-powered offense. They’re more of a power team, and we’re more of a speed team. It may come down to just our quarterbacks,” he said.

However, the team is handling the stress pretty well. They see Thursday’s game as just another team they have to tackle.

“We haven’t let anything distract us from achieving our goal. The championship doesn’t really affect us. We look at it like just another game that we need to win, and that mentality is what has led us to being so successful,” said Chris Speer ’13.

With both teams heading into the game with an 8-0 record, it should be a pretty intense game. But Staples, as usual, is ready to handle anything.

“We’re ready because we’ve all been watching Greenwich on film closely. And we’ve been practicing hard everyday, even without a game last weekend,” said Alec Kaplan ’12.

After all of the hard work the players have put in this season, the coaches are very proud of the boys for making it this far and representing the Wreckers with pride.

“ The pressure may be high, but for us, this is just a game,” said Petroccio.

As the excitement builds towards the holiday, fans are reminded to come support the Wreckers in the town-wide tradition of the Thanksgiving game.
“If we can have a loud and wild fan section, it will definitely help us win,” encouraged Gibson.