What I never learned at Staples

What+I+never+learned+at+Staples+

I don’t think I am particularly oblivious.

I mean, I may have said Bo Bice was our vice president in a job interview. I once thought Lance Armstrong and Neil Armstrong were the same person. And nothing beats the day I learned West Virginia was an actual state.

OK, fine, maybe I am a bit oblivious.

Given my oblivion, as I reflect on my past four years at Staples, I realize there are a few questions I may never have the answers to:

1. Where in the world is the World Language Learning Center? I’ve missed my fair share of math quizzes before, and even had to make up an in-class essay or two. But I have never had to venture to the World Language Learning Center. As a result, I have absolutely no idea of its whereabouts. Is it on the first floor? Near the world language computer lab? ¡No sé!

2. True or false: if teachers do not show up to their classes after 10 minutes, do the students get a free period? It is a timeless question amongst probably every single student. I can never decide if this is a myth or legitimate protocol. I could easily ask a faculty member and find the answer, but I enjoy the ambiguity far more than any possible reality.

3. Who locks the doors after 7:30? Each morning, students who drive meander into the school building half-asleep.  They enter through the doors by the cafeteria, pool house, world language wing, etc. However, if you sleep in for first period or come in later that day, you better hope you find a kind passerby to let you in.  Who the heck goes around to each door after 7:30 and locks all of them by 7:45 at the latest? That’s a lot of walking for 7 a.m…

4. What are the rules of the Klein Challenge? It happens once a week­–GMS is running smoothly on a Thursday morning, entertaining students schoolwide with short, informative segments. And then, the theme song begins…it’s the Klein Challenge. Seeing as I’m not the biggest sports fan, this is usually when I pull out my phone and peruse Instagram (it is Throwback Thursday after all). What I’ve come to embarrassingly realize is that I don’t know the rules of the Klein Challenge. Do that many football games go on each weekend? Why does a big lock appear out of nowhere? How do you win? I could put my phone down and try to pay attention, or I could Instagram stalk Rachel Zoe. I’m going with the latter, no offense Mr. Klein.

5. What is this “black box” people speak of? I’ve heard Players mention it; I’ve heard my peers share stories about “that couple in the black box,” and I’ve even heard teachers refer to it. Can somebody fill me in on where and what this black box is? When I hear “black box,” I envision a box that is black. What am I missing here?

So, I will never know where the high numbers are. Heck, I don’t even know where Mrs. Addicks’ office is. And that’s quite all right because, as the common saying goes, “some questions are better left unanswered.” One question that I absolutely know the answer to is “would I change anything about my high school experience?”

Nope.