A “Sad Girl” in Candlelight, now a sad girl for real

Contributed by Kelsey Shockey
Shockey, right, enjoying the successful Friday night Candelight Concert with friends, prior to the cancellation of both Saturday concerts.

When I woke up with a burst of energy this morning, all I could think about was how excited I was for the Candlelight Concert. Quite frankly, I couldn’t even start my homework because the concert was the highlight of the weekend and it was the only thing on my mind.

But then, my excitement was completely shattered when both the 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Saturday performances were cancelled.

Before the news arrived, I was already dressed in my outfit and had my hair and makeup all done.

Canceling was definitely the wrong call. Not only were families getting ready to attend the show, but it had also stopped snowing.

As they (usually) say in theater, the show must go on…

What is even worse is that they won’t be rescheduled, mainly because the holiday break starts next week. Today would’ve been the perfect opportunity for people to see our Christmas performance.

Don Rickenbach did a phenomenal job of writing the script and choreographing all of the pieces for the production number. Director Luke Rosenberg also pushed us to work hard and perfect our singing by having us practice our other choir songs in school and after school from 7:00-10:00 p.m. I took in every single moment, and it’s an experience that I will never forget.

As a senior, it was my last year performing, and it was my only chance to perform because I am not in Staples Players, something that I will always regret.

For the first time in forever, I had a big solo in a concert, and I wanted to prove to all my friends, teachers, and family members that I had what it takes to be a great performer. I long for dancing and singing, and, believe it or not, it makes me more happy.

In general, performing runs through my bones, as my grandma was a big time performer in her day, and the same goes for my great-grandmother.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if I started crying soon. Ironically, I was the “Sad Girl” character in the production number, and after this, I really am a sad girl.

I’ve wanted to be in the Staples choir since I was in middle school. Being in chorus and in the Coleytown Company at Coleytown Middle School gave me a great taste for the arts, and I wanted to continue this throughout my high school career. I was fortunate enough to have been in chorus, chorale, and the a capella choir for four years.

In the end, I guess I should grateful that I got to perform it one hundred and ten percent once. In my heart, it will always be bitter sweet.

The Candelight Concert is really special. Not only does it bring the choir, orchestra, and band members together to produce a great show, but more importantly, it brings the Westport community together.

That is the power of music.

For those of you who missed the opportunity to see and enjoy the Candelight Concert, T.V. Production teacher Jim Honeycutt, is selling CD’s. More information on how to buy CD’s will be posted on Dan Woog’s website,  http://06880danwoog.com/, “Where Westport meets the world.”