Not in Love…Yet

Elizabeth Camche

“Elizabeth, you’re gonna be the fourth generation soon!” My grandpa says from the front seat as we pull into what I thought would be the school of my dreams. My smile grew watching the school’s shuttles, zip in and out of the campus, covered in the theme colors. I was sure I would want to be that fourth generation. What’s not to love about it?

When I thought about going to college, I thought about this school. And this is purely because my family’s school spirit and love for this school is through the roof. Both my mother and father are proud alumnus, sporting the logo on their cars, shoes and sweatshirts, while my brother is currently a sophomore sending home daily news of the exciting events he’s taking part in. I, the last child in the family, thought that stepping foot on the campus would be game over, leaving me to do anything for that acceptance letter.

An hour later, walking on campus and taking the tour, I was sure the wow factor would set in soon. All of my brother’s friends seemed to be head over heels for this school but it wasn’t clear exactly why. Every single one would ask, “Are you thinking about coming here?” and before I could get a word in they would respond to themselves with, “I mean, of course you are! Why wouldn’t you right?”

Then it hit me. What IS to love about it? Sure, the campus was beautiful, but what is an applicant supposed to fall in love with? The people? I don’t even know the people. The classes? I don’t even know what classes I would be taking.

Returning to Westport after a full 48-hour visit, I’m still not in love with the University. Then again, it was the first school I have visited as a prospective student. It’s not out of the question, but I’ve realized I still have time to decide. It is important that I don’t put all of my eggs in one basket and continue to visit other schools. I need to explore my options and compare colleges in order to find the one that is right for me. After that, I know I will fall in love with a school whether I fulfill the fourth generation expectancy or find somewhere new, but for now, I’m keeping my options open.