Holiday Do’s And Don’ts

Everybody has that family holiday story. I’m talking about the one that ends in a complete disaster, ending when half your family walks out. My goal is to stop this year from becoming that story. So, with the holidays coming up, here are a few guidelines on the do’s and don’ts of Christmas vacation.

Well, there you have it. Here are three simple tips to avoid Christmas going inevitably bad. If you don’t want to listen, that’s fine.

I do love to say I told you so.

1.) Don’t Get Drunk Around Relatives

First of all, it’s illegal. I know that won’t dissuade many people, but it was worth a shot. (So to speak)

Since that first point probably won’t make much of an impact, let me put it to you this way. The consumption of what has come to be known as the truth serum, alcohol. And hanging out with relatives that you can’t stand. Raise your hand if you think that’s a good mix. If you have your hand up, you’re an idiot.

Also, what about the morning after? Ian Teran’13 explained, “If you get crunked Christmas Eve, then it’s going to make it very difficult to communicate with relatives Christmas morning.”

Imagine coming down the stairs Christmas morning, with your head banging and your eyes heavy, and being met with your obnoxiously happy and talkative aunt singing in your ear, “JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE ALL THE WAY!”

It’s hard enough dealing with extended family the way it is. Add a hangover to that, and forget about it.

Moving on.

2.) Only Buy Gifts You Would Want

I am not just saying this because of the nice guy I am. But, rather because it affects the gift you get in return. I also recognize the growing threat of repackaging.

Let me set up a scenario for you. One of your grandchildren gets you a new toothbrush. The other grandchild gets you a brand new set of golf clubs that you’ve always wanted. Who are you getting a better gift next Christmas?

Exactly. That’s where the naughty and nice list began.

Taking into account repackaging is also vastly important when buying a gift. When somebody gets a gift they don’t like, they just repackage it and give it to somebody else.

So, not only are you setting up a chain reaction of bad gift giving, but that bad gift could also make its way back to you. Call it karma.

This is the exemplification of what goes around comes around.

3.) Don’t Forget Peoples’ Names

Trust me, I am just as guilty as you. When my extended family rolls into town, I can’t remember all of the names of people who are there.

How could I? You have your uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins, step-cousins, and cousins once removed (whatever that means).  It’s impossible to keep up.

But, don’t get lost in the shuffle. Once you forget somebody’s name, you are going to discover the true meaning of awkward.

It is not easy to look a family member in the eye and ask, “…What’s your name?” Only grandparents can get away with that.

To avoid those awkward moments, try using some of the cheating skills that you have learned in high school like writing down all their names on the inside of a water bottle.

High school actually did teach us something.