Storm Watch

Graphic by Ned Hardy
The first snowfall of the school year is here.

The Pros and Cons to Another (Potential) Day Off

PRO:

I’m not a fan of snow. Plain and simple. However, I am a fan of snow days. The thought of cuddling up in my bed with hot chocolate and a good movie is one that warms my soul, just like Cindy Lou Who warmed up the Grinch.

Maybe it’s a bit too early for Christmas references, but just like this premature snowstorm, my senioritis has kicked in early, too.

I have endured nearly seven semesters of high school already, finished standardized testing, applied to college, and I am just about done. Yes, I know that senior grades still count, but why not postpone them as long as possible?

How much damage could one more day do?

Well, for me, one more day couldn’t do much damage at all because I plan on an internship at the end of the year. That means I’m out of here in May regardless of how many snow days we get.

While we’re on the topic of damage, I’d like to say that I’m still not over Hurricane Sandy. I might be exaggerating a little bit, but the storm was truly scarring. When I hear the gust of wind and the rustle of branches, I run the opposite direction.

So please, Superintendent Landon, when trying to decide whether or not to call a snow day, please keep in mind the fear that the recent hurricane has brought upon some of us.

CON:

1) The shoveling. No school means the snow stuck, and when the snow gets stuck, someone has to get it, well, unstuck. I know I’d rather spend 45 minutes watching Good Morning Staples and doing some pre-calc than clear my driveway with a plastic shovel, bundled up in my entire closet.

2) The boredom. After a week trapped inside the house from Hurricane Sandy, I’m officially out of ways to spend my time. I ran Scrabble into the ground after six matches last week, and if we can’t get to school, then friends probably won’t be able to leave the house, either. If there isn’t school tomorrow, we can bank on another day spent lazing around, blankly staring at a movie on Netflix that we’ve watched far too many times to count. And that’s if we keep power.

3) The food. Maybe others take the extra time as a way to concentrate longer on preparing fine, homemade cuisines, but I spend all of one minute and 45 seconds. That’s right, wait just under two minutes and a piping hot bowl of soup emerges from the microwave. This is only a satisfying meal for so long, however. After a week of a microwave-only diet already, I could go a while without fishing through the pantry. See above on power, too.

4) The long term. If we miss all of tomorrow, we’ll probably have to start compensating with additional days later in the year. Three snow days are built into the calendar already, making up for three of the five missed days last week. To boot, our school year lasts 182 days, two days over the Conn. mandated 180 days a year. Between these two breaks, we should be able to pretend last week never happened. However, if we miss another day, we’ll have to have at least one more day of school to reach the 180-day minimum. I’m willing to sacrifice one day off now to save some precious summertime.

Did I mention they’re already talking about ditching April break? I didn’t think so.

For more coverage, see: Oklahoma! to Open Despite Nor’easter