barackobama@spam.net

barackobama@spam.net
Bailey Ethier

Back in the time before the internet was around, the thought of getting sent mail from the President of the United States must have been mind blowing.

However, in today’s era of the internet, getting mail from the President isn’t mind blowing at all. It’s actually rather annoying.

Ever since I subscribed to Barack Obama’s website back in 2008, I have been bombarded with daily chain emails from Obama’s campaign staff sent to his subscribers. I check on my email multiple times each day, and four out of five times a new email from “Barack Obama” is sitting in my inbox.

These messages are supposed to make me feel compelled to support the Obama administration, but all it ever does is irritate me. I don’t want to constantly be updated as to what Obama is doing, and I am sick of being asked to donate to the campaign.  Especially now that the election is only a month away, I am constantly being asked to.

I can’t contribute to the campaign if I tried; I don’t have a credit card!

Even though I am quite interested in politics, I just don’t have the time to read the onslaught of emails.

I mean, if we were sent an email once every few weeks updating me on the progress of the campaign, I would be happy to read that; but the amount of emails that are sent is ridiculous.

Sometimes multiple emails in the same day are about the same exact subject. I would donate if I could, but isn’t multiple times a day a little much?

I’m also bothered how the emails always come addressed from “Barack Obama”. I highly doubt that the President has time in his busy schedule to write emails to his supporters.

I’ve actually started labeling these emails spam after I receive them. If these emails were less frequent and about more important issues, I would be more inclined to read them.

In fact, the only reason I haven’t unsubscribed to these emails is that I would feel like I am not being a supporter. I support Obama’s politics, just not his ways of communication.

I am sure that many Americans who get these emails also view them as “junk” mail. All these emails may eventually decrease the respect that Americans have for the President, because Americans will begin to affiliate Obama’s words with “junk”.

If Obama really wants to excite his supporters, his words should not be of junk; they should be of importance.