Staples’ cheerleaders host a vogue success

Siblings Peter Blevins ’14 and Liv Blevins ’15 strut down the runway in their Mitchell’s attire.

On Friday March 28, the Staples High School cheerleaders hosted their 17th annual Varsity Vogue fashion show and auction fundraiser at Mitchell’s of Westport.

Around 200 people came to event ready to bid on everything from iPad minis to tennis lessons and watch the football and basketball players escorted by cheerleaders model the latest Mitchell’s fashions.

According to team member Sloan Cooper ’15 the cheerleaders start planning Varsity Vogue as soon as the season starts. “It is our biggest event of the season and the most important one for the team,” she said.

Co-captain Emma Mikesh ’14 has seen Varsity Vogue from start to finish for four years now.

“This year the best part of varsity vogue is going to be being the spotlight of the event. The seniors have been waiting four years to be here and it’s so exciting,” she added.

Indeed it was a very successful night for the Wreckers and all the money raised will go to fund the upcoming year for the cheerleaders and a donation will made to St. Vincent’s.

Varsity football coach Marcellino Petroccio and Tom Greenwald began the bidding for the live auction. A football signed by all the varsity players from a game against Trumbull sold for $700, a similarly signed basketball for $600, and the opportunity to be a varsity cheerleader for the day went for $700. Tickets to various sporting events were also auctioned off, but the biggest winner of the night went to a pair broadway tickets which went for an even $1000.

The store was filled with cheers and smiles as each player escorted by a cheerleader strutted to the end of the runway, finishing with creative pose for the cameras.

“My teammates and I always joke around about having the nicest class in the conference and Friday night is the night to show off our swag,” varsity basketball player David Katz ’14 said.