What’s the Buzz? BMS Starts Online Newspaper

For years at Bedford Middle School, there has been a journalism drought—no newspaper, no journalistic offerings. But this year, two students broke the status quo by founding The Buzz, an online newspaper that services Bedford and its students.

Isabella Ullmann ’17 and her co founder Stephen Rowland ’17, both seventh graders and aspiring journalists, proposed the idea for The Buzz to their principal Melissa Kay. The idea formed when both could not understand why Bedford did not have a newspaper.

After being approved, teachers Jonathan Feagin and Kelly Warner teamed up with Ullmann and Rowland to make The Buzz come alive.

“The first edition was only me, Stephen, and the teachers, but now that it is the second edition the other students are getting pretty involved too,” Ullmann said. According to Warner, they tried to get these students involved by advertising on BAM—the Bedford morning show—and posting flyers.

The Buzz distributed its first edition in late April on a WordPress website, which is the foundation of the paper.

“We chose to do it this way because it is the most efficient way, and it reduces carbon footprint,” Ullmann said.

Just like Staples, according to Feagin, the hallways at Bedford are filled with interesting stories and people, which make for interesting writing at the middle school level.

“It is meant to focus on students here at Bedford. Special achievements, participation in activities outside school, etc,” Feagin said.”

Although it is a new addition to the Bedford community, Ullmann feels that her peers have responded well to The Buzz.

“It took a lot of advertising to get them to view it but I do know a lot of people in my school have read it,” she said.

Warner is also happy about its progress and of how it has been received.

“Everyone has been very supportive and we are looking forward to expanding it next year,” Warner said.

For two seventh grade students, getting The Buzz started and popular has been a big accomplishment.  But, specifically for Ullmann, this newspaper is only a start to her future in journalism.

“I would love to pursue journalism in high school. I couldn’t understand why Bedford did not have a newspaper already and I am learning so much about it,” Ullmann said. “I can’t wait for Staples.”

To see the Bedford Buzz in action, visit http://bedfordbuzz.wordpress.com/

View Comments (1)