Wreckers Roll to 3-0 Opening Day Win

Wreckers fight for the ball | Photo contributed by Lisa Krosse

Wreckers fight for the ball | Photo contributed by Lisa Krosse

DJ Sixsmith ’11 and Mike Nussbaum ’11
Sports Editors

Wreckers fight for the ball | Photo contributed by Lisa Krosse
Wreckers fight for the ball | Photo contributed by Lisa Krosse

The scene at Loeffler field on Tuesday could not have been better for the Wreckers as the Superfan whiteout and great team play fueled a 3-0 win.

After a tragic offseason of losing the founder of Staples soccer Albie Loeffler and 2006 captain Preston Hirten, the Wreckers expected a win. Staples had been preparing for this season ever since last winter after the state semifinals loss to Glastonbury.

The Wreckers came out firing early as attacker Greg Gudis’11 put the ball past the diving effort of Westhill goalie Ludin Gonzalez just 10 minutes into the game to give the Wreckers the 1-0 lead. Mike Scott’11 set up Gudis with a corner kick to the front of the net. Scott was a key contributor for the Wreckers on both offense and defense.

At one time regarded as one of the top teams in the FCIAC, the Vikings have had a disappointing last few seasons. Despite not having the same type of marquee players they had in the past, the Vikings were able to keep it close with the preseason #1 ranked team in the state.

“This is a very solid Westhill team,” said Staples coach Dan Woog.

The Wreckers went into the half with a 1-0 lead. The second half featured a different Staples team. The Wreckers were able to spread out their offense much more effectively as Coach Woog’s decision to add a second attacker—Senior Captain Mike White, created several opportunities.

Mike White ’09 sat the first half out due to an injury but entered the game early in the second half and made an immediate impact scoring the Wreckers second goal from Brendan Lesch. The injured White looked fresh coming off the bench and was able to blow by a Westhill defender on his way to score, giving the Wreckers a comfortable lead.

A two goal lead did not stop the Wreckers as senior captain Andrew McNair’10 set up Mikey Fitzgerald’10 for a header in front for a goal with just 1:30 left to play. After three missed chances earlier in the game, Fitzgerald was able to find an opening in the back of the net.

The strong second half play of the Wreckers ended up being the difference in this game. It was an all round well played game and junior Greg Gudis could not have been happier.

“We showed a tremendous amount of heart out there today…The tenacious efforts from Sean Gallagher ‘11 and Mikey Scott ‘11 helped propel the team to victory today,” Gudis said.