Staples girls basketball wrecks the Rams

Photo by Chase Gornbein

On Friday, Jan. 31st, the Lady Wreckers tightly laced up their sneakers and were more than ready to square off against New Canaan.

Staples, now with a 5-8 record, was looking for redemption after a shaky start to their season.

After losing most of their senior teammates, it lead to the majority of the team being comprised of underclassmen.

Previously beating New Caanan in their last matchup with a score of 45-39, the Lady Wreckers knew that this would be an important win to get one game closer to making the playoffs and start a new streak.

Staples immediately won the tip off and scored on their first possession putting them ahead with a 2-0 lead. The first quarter was rather lopsided, with Staples leading 18-10 at the end of the quarter.

Abby Lustig ’14 was shooting lights out from beyond the arc, as well as from the free throw line. She was six for six for her free throws and ultimately, she finished the game with 20 points.

Julia Bartimer ’16 also played extremely well defensively and provided the Lady Wreckers with the spark they needed to compete the team’s goal of getting 40 or more points.

Not only that, but Maggie Fair ’15 was able to distribute the ball very well and she finished the game with six assists.

This game certainly provided the Lady Wreckers with the confidence boost that they needed to propel them through the rest of their season.

Come out and support the Staples girls’ basketball team as they fight off against Stamford at 7:00pm in the Staples gym.