Spring sports preview

Spring sports preview

With temperatures rising, the competition for spring sports is starting to heat up. There were some great spring seasons  last year, and spring teams are hoping to do just as well or even better.

Boys Track:  After a cold but exciting season of indoor track, the boys’ outdoor track team is ready to sprint into the spring season. Even with a slight upset during the Boys’ Indoor Track States competition, where they placed seventh, Captain Peter Elkind ’14 has high hopes for the spring season. “I’m confident that the team can be even better in the outdoor season than we’ve been indoors,” Elkind says. “As my teammates continue to improve as they did in indoor, we will be strong in the FCIAC championships as well as the state championships, so I’m hoping for the best.”

Girl’s Track: Coming out of a very successful season, which also culminated in the girls’ first ever Class LL Indoor Championship, the girls’ outdoor track team is preparing for the next chapter. Coach Jesse McCray is expecting the best from them. “We lost a lot of seniors who helped towards States and FCIACs,” he said. “So we’re going to have to work in that area.” He also is looking to his underclassmen to pull through. “Sprints will be an adventure because we have a lot of freshmen who excelled in sprinting and hurdles in the Indoor season,” he said.

Girls Lacrosse: With a fantastic season last year, the girls’ lacrosse team is looking forward to trying to repeat that success with an abundance of returning varsity players. Senior Captain Caitlin Hoberman ’14 hopes to lead the team into victory. “I think we will have a really strong season. The core of our team is still here and we have all been working together for so long that I think we can really compete in the FCIAC,” she said. The girls’ lacrosse team should be a team to watch as the spring season approaches.

Boys Lacrosse: After an incredible season last year, the boys’ lacrosse team hopes to repeat their success in the spring season. Even with the loss of a few remarkable seniors last year such as Joey Zelkowitz and Colin Bannon, Senior Captain Patrick Lesch 14’ is staying positive. “I think the team will do great this year. We have high hopes after going so far last year and falling just short in the state championship,” he said. “The team is pretty excited to get the season going and we feel we have some unfinished business to take care of.”

Boys Tennis: The boys’ tennis team is coming back this year with a lot of familiar faces. This senior-heavy team has a lot of potential, chemistry and experience that many other teams in the FCIAC don’t have. Of all the years Captain Luke Foreman ’14 has been involved with the program, he predicts that this year the boys will prevail. “We’re deeper this year than we have been in the past; most of the team is at the same level, so we’ll be strong all the way through the lineup,” he said. “This is the first year I can finally say that I’m confident we can take home both titles – I think we’re definitely strong favorites to win States and FCIACs.”

Girls Tennis: With months of preseason to help the girls prepare, the tennis team is ready for one of their best seasons yet. Senior Captain Melissa Berretta ‘14, sees this season as a turning point for the program. “This year’s girls tennis team is going to be the best the school has seen in a very long time,” she said. “We had a team filled with young talent last year and with that time to develop, we have grown into a team that can really do some damage this year and in the post-season.” This team is one to look out for when the weather gets warmer because the girls will be striving for their long-deserved victory.