Sports uniforms in vogue

Joining a team consists of gaining friendships and a competitive outlook on and off the turf. But of course, who could possibly forget about the cool uniforms?

Elizabeth Coogan ’14 plays for the field hockey team and loves the skirts she and others wear as part of their uniform, which she says is the best at Staples. The skirt, she said, adds a feminine flair. “Also, the tank top jersey and the skirt remind me of summer.”

Besides field hockey, other teams that are most well known for their cute uniforms are the cheerleading team with their big sparkly Mickey Mouse bows and the girls’ tennis team with a club look. Or, as described by Cassie Feldman’14, “they’re girly and have a preppy style to them.”

Let’s be real here. Athletes have a lot of swag when they show off their team logo wear.

Girls’ golf team? “A little bit of class,” team member Faith Garcia ’14 said, in reference to the blue and white polo shirts and waterproof rain jackets.

For the most part, boys said they don’t care about what their uniforms are. In fact, they don’t even have an opinion on girls’ uniforms, which you would think would catch their attention. What matters is how they themselves appear in the uniforms.

“We look really good with our volleyball uniforms; that could just be the people wearing them though,” volleyball player Ben Cion ’14 said.

Although this may be the case, there are some who are very critical.

“The new uniforms we got this year didn’t even compare to the old ones. The racing shorts were too long and baggy and got in the way when running,” Justin Donlon ’14 said.

Some teams are luckier than others because they receive new uniforms every year.

“Last season, we got mandatory Nike zip ups, and they made a big impact. It was great to have a uniform and have all of the girls wearing the same thing, since it really made us look like a team,” girls’ swimming and diving captain, Gabbie LeBlanc ’14, said.

Unlike swimming, the girls’ lacrosse team sticks with the same uniforms.

“There is a rule that the school can only provide new uniforms every three years,” Meredith Hood’14 said.

Old is not always a problem. Sometimes former uniforms appeal to sentiment.

According to James Lewis ‘16, a runner, “The new uniforms aren’t very well received actually. In track there’s nothing like a worn-in uniform, especially when we’ve had track legends like Henry Wynne and John Backus wearing them. Why would we ever want to switch?”

Ultimately, a uniform is much more than just a piece of clothing.

“A good uniform should make whoever wears it comfortable. More importantly, it should represent the school well to give the person confidence and pride for their team,” Hannah DeBalsi ’16, a Staples runner.