Wreckers Admit Defeat After High Intensity Battle Against Wilton Warriors

Luke Andriuk '11 makes a save for the Wreckers.| Photo contributed by Anna Andriuk

Luke Andriuk ’11 makes a save for the Wreckers.| Photo contributed by Anna Andriuk

Emily Goldberg ’12
Web Sports Editor

Luke Andriuk '11 makes a save for the Wreckers.| Photo contributed by Anna Andriuk

After putting forth their best effort, the Staples-Weston co-op boy’s hockey team fell to an unfortunate defeat against the Wilton Warriors on Jan. 30. The high scoring game ended at 10 – 8 in Wilton’s favor.

Head Coach Ralph Unker had confidence in his team throughout the game. “I thought we had a chance [to win] before the game, and through the game until Wilton went up 9-7 at the end of the third period,” said Unker.

One difficulty the Wreckers experienced was that at Saturday’s game there were only 12 able and healthy players out of the team’s full 16. Therefore it was difficult to compete against Wilton’s full varsity roster yet the Wreckers proved their abilities by staying in the game.

“Our record [2-10-1] is frustrating. We are short players due to injuries but our guys never quit. I think we deserve more victories than we have, but we’re still competing and giving every team a battle,” said Unker

Aaron Liu ‘12 scored the first goal of the game. Alternate captain Kyle Wehmhoff ’12 assisted Liu. The Wreckers were able to hold their lead until there were only four minutes left in the period. Wilton was then able to score two goals ending the period 2-1.

The Wreckers returned to the ice determined to take the lead in the second period. Wehmhoff led his team, scoring three of the four goals in the fast paced second period.

Wehmhoff started the period scoring two back-to-back goals only a minute apart. Wehmhoff was assisted by alternate captain Mike Zaken ’10 (Weston), and Wyatt Fern ’13 and Liu respectively.

Despite Staples’ early aggression, the Warriors were not ready to submit to the Wreckers. The Wilton team responded to Wehmhoff’s goals by scoring two of their own, once again taking the lead.

Soon after, Wehmhoff was able to find the back of the net once again. Yet the Warriors retaliated to break the tie. Finally, with only 17 seconds left on the clock Liu and Wehmhoff had an impressive passing combination and Liu tied up the game, ending the second period at 5-5.

The third period was just as action packed as the second. Once again proving to be a solid force on offense, Wehmhoff and Liu worked together to take the lead as Wehmhoff assisted Liu on the first goal in the third period.

Wilton then picked up the pace of the game, scoring four consecutive goals, making the score 9-6.

Wehmhoff was able to answer this with another goal of his own, which unfortunately was followed by yet another goal from the Warriors.

Tri-captain Danny Carbone ’10 showed the team’s lasting effort, scoring the last goal of the game with 23 seconds on the clock.

Despite the loss the team played very well. “We moved the pick well. It was a great game,” said Ben Brancucci ’11. Liu agreed and he also added, “Everyone contributed. No one quit and we left it all out on the ice.”

More pictures can be found at www.stapleshockey.com