Child Stars: Where Are They Now?

Graphic by Amy Perelburg ’15

As a kid, you probably idolized child celebrities, but now, you’re greeted by their mug shots on the front page of US Weekly. Little did we know that Macaulay Culkin, the boy from the movie “Home Alone,” would be sent to prison for possession of marijuana, Coconut Head from “Ned’s Declassified” would become a male model, Beans from “Even Stevens” would play the pink elf in a T-Mobile commercial, and Mitchel Musso from “Hannah Montana” would be arrested for driving under the influence and speeding.

Backstreet Boys

“I never wanna hear you say,/ I want it that way.” Those lyrics made every girl in the late 90’s fall in love with the Backstreet Boys.

The group consisted of A.J. McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Kevin Richardson and Brian Littrell. They were five of the cutest boys and their voices sounded like angels sliding down a rainbow.

After their first album was released in 1996, they immediately became famous. The album “Backstreet Boys,” which has the most memorable songs, became one of the biggest debut albums ever. They were on top of the world.

However, in 2001, the group announced that A.J. was going into rehab for drug and alcohol addictions. The Backstreet Boys cancelled the rest of their tour. As A.J. tried to pull himself together, Brian became a father, and Nick worked on his own album. Kevin got a role on Broadway, and Howie started a foundation to fight Lupus.

In 2005, the group reunited, but didn’t impress fans or critics. In 2006, Kevin Richardson left the group. Then, they reunited again and all members are working on their seventh album. Of course, the Backstreet Boys are now Backstreet Men.

Amanda Bynes

The Hillbillies, Judge Trudy, Moody’s Point, Penelope Taynt, and Blockblister sum up the Amanda Show.  Who could forget Sebastian Hasting sticking tampons up his nose from the movie, “She’s the Man,” or the comedy series, “What I Like About You?” Amanda was already a comedy veteran. She had already performed for years on Nickelodeon’s shows.

With a successful acting career, Amanda went from fame to shame.

First, she was accused of walking naked in public. Now, she has been arrested multiple times for talking on her cell phone while driving, being involved in a hit and run incident, and driving under the influence.

After her license was suspended, she was caught driving her BMW. She’s already been to jail once. Now, she faces multiple charges. However, Bynes has pled not guilty.

A carbon copy of Lindsay Lohan? Possibly. Since Bynes isn’t in jail now, she’s occupying herself by creating an Instagram, and she recently returned to Twitter.

When Bynes isn’t tweeting about how much she loves black guys, she’s breaking up with Kid Cudi. Since Bynes can’t drive, she seriously needs to consider learning the Los Angeles public transit system.

Ben Savage

If you were obsessed with Disney Channel in the 90’s, you definitely know who Cory Matthews is. He was the curly-haired, rebellious and spontaneous little star of the 90’s sitcom, “Boy Meets World,” which ran from 1993 to 2000. We’ve seen Cory as a kid, but now he is grown up and is a married man.

It has been confirmed that there will be a new series called “Girl Meets World,” and this time, Cory and Topanga are a happily married couple and the parents of 13-year-old daughter, Riley.

Our “boy” has finally met the “world,” graduating from Stanford University with a degree in Political Science in 2004. Savage expressed his love for Demi Lovato in a tweet: “Awkward moment when you’re at a red-light with the windows down listening to Demi Lovato & the girl in the next car over is staring at you.” Boy Meets Demi?  According to his Twitter bio, he is an: “Actor. Writer. Stanford grad. Sushi connoisseur. Zac Efron fan.”

Hilary Duff

At age eleven, Hilary Duff played her first major role, starring in the 1998 movie “Casper Meets Wendy.” But she is best known as the star of Disney Channel’s “Lizzie McGuire.”

Even though Duff was nominated for the “Worst Actress” Razzie Award for “Cheaper By The Dozen 2” as well as for “The Perfect Man,” her 2003 album, “Metamorphosis,” was a triple platinum.

After 2005, Duff’s fame faded. “Lizzie McGuire” had ended, Hilary had just finished her movies “Raise Your Voice,” “The Perfect Man,” and “Cheaper by the Dozen 2.” No longer in the public eye, the 25-year-old Duff married NHL player Mike Comrie in August 2010. In the same year, she was a judge on “X-Factor.”

Just this March, she gave birth to her first child, Luca Cruz Comrie. Some think she is a mediocre singer and has no talent. However, she’s been in the studio with hit-making producer Mike Squire, who has worked with Katy Perry and Selena Gomez. Watch out.