Show some college etiquette

It’s impossible to avoid the constant chatter about college in the hallways. Whether you overhear who is applying ED to which school or you sit down at a lunch table in the midst of debate over which school has the prettiest campus; the college talk won’t stop.

But there are some students who feel the need to overshare their opinions. Of course people are going to talk about which schools they’re visiting and which ones they’re applying to, but there are certain things that don’t need to be said.

At Staples, many students are visiting and applying to the same schools. While going through this process, everybody is forming different opinions. We’re all looking for different things, so it’s natural that every student won’t have the same idea of which schools are better.

Now, I watched both of my brothers go through the college process before it was my turn. There were many instances where other students’ opinions impacted the way that they felt about certain schools. Unfortunately, I’m seeing the same things happening again.

Some people feel the need to speak openly about every thought that enters their mind concerning college.

All I ask is that you stop saying negative things about other schools.

Yes, I understand that you are allowed to have those opinions, but there is no positive result that comes from you sharing them. You’re only going to offend people who are interested in those schools and maybe even make them rethink their initial opinions.

The last thing that anyone wants to overhear in the cafeteria is a list of negative adjectives describing their first choice school.

You wouldn’t want people bad mouthing your dream school, so don’t do it to other people.