Harry Potter Reveal is a Load of Hogwash

Rachel Treisman

This weekend, author J.K. Rowling yelled “Avada Kedavra” and aimed her wand at millions of Harry Potter fans.

Okay, not really.

But she revealed in an interview that Hermione should have ended up with Harry instead of Ron – and isn’t that kind of the same thing?

According to CNN, Rowling says she wrote “the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment, for reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it.”

As someone who has grown up with the bestselling Harry Potter franchise, read each book upwards of four times, and has even visited the movie set in London, I’m a little frustrated by Rowling’s revelation.

And as someone who dressed up as Hermione – wand and all – for three consecutive Halloweens, I feel I am qualified to explain why.

For years, we muggles have witnessed Ron and Hermione’s animosity evolve into a friendship, a relationship, and ultimately a marriage. We’ve seen Hermione and Ron worry about each other, comfort each other, banter together, dance together, and even save the wizarding world together.

At times they had feelings for other people (read: Viktor Krum), and the two had their fair share of fights, but in the end, “Romione” came through. And now their happily ever after has been shattered by the very woman who created it.

Sure, Hermione and Harry would have been cute together, to say the least. In fact, fans have been “shipping” the two for years, which is highly justifiable considering how close Hermione and Harry are. Who can forget the touching slow dance they shared in that tent in the seventh movie?

But putting Hermione and Harry together is just a little too cliché, in my opinion. I’ve always thought of their bond as one of friendship, not romance. At times, they can be a little too intense for each other; type-A Hermione needs someone as goofy and lovable as Ron to balance her out.

I guess this is kind of a moot point now, but still.

Ron and Hermione show us that no relationship is perfect all the time, but if two people love each other, they can make it work. Plus, if Harry and Hermione ended up together, what would happen to Ginny?

If the massive number of fiery tweets is any indication, the public’s response is a mixed bag, with some people supporting Rowling’s decision and others up in arms about her recent admission. Maybe it would have been better if she hadn’t said anything at all and instead let her readers agree to disagree.

Because at the end of the day, we all agree the most important decision Rowling made was getting rid of Voldemort.