Trick or Treat

Halloween is here. For little kids, it is their favorite holiday because they get candy, carve pumpkins, and can be anything they want to be.

However, since we are in high school now, should we even bother with Halloween? Aren’t we too old to like Halloween?

“I still trick-or-treat and I do it around Compo Beach. It’s a lot of fun, and I like candy and wearing costumes,” Ben Goldshlager ’14 said. “Last year, I was a doctor. It’s fun acting younger than I am, although Halloween is still for everybody.”

There are many high school students that still get into the holiday spirit in one way or another.

“This year, I am going to be a bumblebee and do my usual trick or treating,” Will Englehart ‘ 14 said.

So if Halloween is on a week day, will students stay home and do their work or go out anyway?

“Last year I went to parties and trick or treated,” Kevin Coughlin ’13 said. “But I’m not doing anything this year because I won’t have time on a Monday night.”

However, there is more to Halloween than the fun antics for which it is known. It originated from the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain. It was celebrated at the end of the harvest season because the Celtics believed that the boundaries between the living and the dead overlapped.

But today, students’ only concern is one question: Trick or Treat?

View Comments (1)