Ariana Grande’s album ‘thank u, next’ breaks records

Ariana Grande released her album “thank u, next” on Friday, Feb. 8 at midnight. The album features 12 songs, three of which were released as singles prior to the album’s debut.

Ali Korn '21, Web Features Editor

Ariana Grande released her fifth studio album titled “thank u, next,” featuring 12 original songson Friday, Feb. 8. It is her second album this year, and has scored the highest global debut for any female artist ever on Apple Music within the first 24 hours of the album’s release. Additionally, songs from the album held the top 10 slots in Billboard’s “Top 100 Global,” with every song in the top 20, including “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored” and “needy.”
Three songs on the album were released as singles prior to the album’s debut: “thank u, next,” “imagine” and “7 rings.” Grande promoted the album on her social media platforms in the days leading up to the album’s release by posting photos of her in the recording studio, releasing the album cover and providing a countdown to the release.
“I was eagerly waiting for weeks, but the minute the album came out, I listened to the whole thing,” Stella Corenthal ’21 said. “I instantly fell in love with the fun and upbeat songs.”
Many of the songs on the album reflect the difficulties Grande has experienced throughout the past year. Additionally, several of the songs reference Grande’s past relationships, including her breakup with comedian Pete Davidson and the death of her ex-boyfriend, rapper Mac Miller.
Many people are supportive of the album due to the positive messages that it promotes about women. “This album’s songs definitely give off positive, feminist vibes, which is one thing that people often love about Ariana’s songs,” Corenthal said. A prime example of this is the song “thank u, next” which is all about personal growth and learning from previous relationships.
Others feel that despite the album’s intentions, it provides degrading messages towards women. “I feel like it’s supposed to be empowering, but it kind of sends negative messages about how women deal with relationships,” Phoebe Larocca ’20 said. For example, the song “needy” paints a picture of women becoming clingy and becoming selfish in relationships.
Overall, Grande’s newest album is very popular due to the upbeat and catchy nature of many of the songs. All of the songs have deeper meanings behind them, making them more significant to Grande and leaving a greater impact on listeners.

About the Writer
Ali Korn '21, Web Features Editor

Ali Korn ’21 used her passion and interest for writing as motivation to making it towards being a part of Inklings. Entering her sophomore year, Korn...