Super Dee Assists the Lucky ‘13

Dee Hychko, or just “Dee,” has a history with this class that goes beyond being its grade-level assistant; some students were campers or counselors with her at the Parks and Recreation Beach Camp. From gimp to graduation, Hychko has stuck with the students through Staples and summers.

Hychko has worked at Parks and Recreation, specifically “Beach Camp,” for 18 years.

Counselor Nick Kelly ’13 has three words to describe his summer experiences: “Dee is awesome.” Others felt the same way.

“It was always a lot of fun to work with Dee. She’s the type of person that can always keep people laughing,” Julia Tziolis ’13, another former counselor, said.

In four years, Hychko has grown extremely fond of this class. Excited for the future, she still is sad to see them go.

“You get close to families; you get close to kids,” Hychko says of her relationship with the senior class. Her office is saturated with pictures of students from games, performances, and other events that Hychko attended.

“The best was seeing Dee on the sideline of every sporting event, cheering us on. She’s always had our back and has been helpful to us in so many ways. It’s hard not to grow close to her,” Joey Zelkowitz ’13 explained.

Hychko has had fun with her students as the grade-level assitant, like when she appeared as Cruella de Vil, when the senior girls dressed up as dalmatians. Siri Andrews ’13 says that this was her favorite memory of Dee.

“She’s always up for fun stuff like that,” said Andrews ’13.

The admiration between Hychko and this class is mutual. Asked to describe this class in one word, Hychko put it simply: “extraordinary.”

Hychko will be in attendance at both baccalaureate and graduation with “a big box of Kleenex,” she says.