One Acts Show a Different Side of Players

Graphic by Nate Rosen

This weekend, Staples Players will perform in their 13th Annual One Act Play Festival on Sat., April 27 at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. and on Sun., April 28 at 5 p.m.

The One Act Play Festival gives the students involved in Players a chance to show off their directing skills. Juniors and seniors taking the directing course get the opportunity to run their own plays, manage auditions, cast actors, run rehearsals, and even perform in their own play.

The festival consists of multiple 10-minute plays covering genres from comedy to drama. This year, there will be 17 one acts split up between three performances.

“The One Acts this year are really amazing,” said Nathan Francis ’14.  “I’m directing a comedy called Third Wheel by Monica Flory and it’s hysterical. I’ve loved the process immensely.”

Francis is worried the town doesn’t know how exciting the event is and wants as many people to come as possible.

“People should see these plays because they are dynamic and fast paced, but also because they are totally different styles compared to other Players productions. Each one is directed by a different student with different ideas and different approaches,” Francis said.

Shelby Cataldo ’15, who is participating in run-crew for the One Act Play Festival, believes that the annual event is a good way to show off talent not seen in the other Player’s productions.

“It’s a really great way to see a wider variety of the talent in Players,” Cataldo said. “It serves as a way for student directors to show off their talent and for actors who are typically less prominent to show off theirs.”

Tickets for the One Act Play Festival are available at $10 at the Staples Player’s website or at the door before the performances begin.