Examining Taylor Swift: ‘Red’ is the New Black

The first time I heard the lyrics “Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won’t see that I want and I’m needing everything that we should be,” float out of my headphones I knew I had found my new favorite artist.

Taylor Swift has long been revered by countless teenage girls, but I am one of the few boys who can say, “I love Taylor Swift” with a straight face. And being the huge Taylor Swift fan that I am, I have long awaited the release of her newest album.

Taylor Swift’s new album “Red” was released on October 22nd, and Swift perform one single each week in the four weeks leading up to the release of the album. Swift released a single from the album, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” on August 13th and it quickly climbed to Number 1 on the Billboard Top 100. This was Swift’s first song to reach the number one spot.

When the song was released, it appeared that Swift was distancing herself from her usual country background. Many people believe that Swift is making the move to more pop-oriented music in order to receive more interest on the radio.

When I first heard “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” I didn’t know whether I would hate or love Swift’s new style. It wasn’t long before I came to love the song, and I argue that she did in fact keep up her country style. The only difference now is that her country twang is paired with the pop music that many people have come to love

But on September 25, purist Taylor Swift fans could breathe a sigh of relief when “Begin Again,” a distinctively more country song, was released. This song was previewed on Good Morning America before being released to iTunes the following day.

A week later, October 1, Swift followed this release by performing the title track “Red.”

The key to making this album a success was its release of a song with one of the catchiest choruses of all time. There isn’t a day when I don’t hear the mutters of people singing “You gonna talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me…”

These words won’t only be heard coming out of the mouths of freshman girls, as many people would expect, but senior boys can even be heard singing this song.

Recently Swift returned to her normal self as the songs “Begin Again” and “Red” were released. “Begin Again” is a song that follows Swift’s typical country motif but doesn’t bash her last boyfriends or complain about the boy of her dreams who doesn’t seem to notice her.

“Begin Again” is a song, much like her others, that highlights Swift’s music with the slight beat of the drums and the strum of the guitar in the background.

The title track, “Red,” is the perfect mix of the pop featured in “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” and the country featured in her old pieces like “Tim McGraw.” The song starts off with the more upbeat tempo that made more of an appearance in Swift’s new music but keeps her vocals as the centerpiece to the music.

Overall this is an album with which all music fans, even those who may not have respected Swift before, can fall in love.

With the help of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” “Red” is set to go platinum with the lyrics that Swift’s young and innocent fans adore and the upbeat tempo that Modern America has come to love.