Club Rush Takes Place This Week

Whatever your interest may be, Staples has a club for it. This week (October 1-5) is the time to get involved. Club rush is taking place during all three lunch periods Monday through Friday and the variety of booths lined down the hall is endless. Every year, students create new clubs, however some do not get the instant recognition they deserve.

For example, one club that has been around for a couple years now is Interact. Interact is a group based on community service around Westport. Throughout the year the club raises money for different charities, helps out with the Westport Sunrise Rotary Club’s Duck Race in June and volunteers at Relay for Life in March. This club is a simple way to get involved in not only Staples, but the whole town of Westport as well.

To take your services geographically further than Westport, get involved with Give 2 The Troops.  “This organization has been around since 2002 but this is only a small branch,” said Ariana Sherman ’14 co-president along with Charlotte Piekara ‘14 and Aly Rackson ’14. At club meetings, members will typically “raise money, collect goods for the soldiers and package them according to their needs. For example if we are sending a package to women we would probably send more things they would typically need.”

Helping those outside of the country is a great way to spend your time. Global Friendship is another way of doing so. These club members build relationships with students from other countries via the Internet. “Last year we wrote to classrooms in Argentina and France” said Sara Banbury ’14 co-president of Global Friendship. As this relationship grows they raise money to send those classrooms basic school supplies. Last year they were successful in raising $3,000.

“We also take care of candy grams during the holidays” said co-president Zoey Altis ’14.

For all of those entrepreneurs in Staples, Future Business Leaders of America is focused on making you exactly that. During the year the co-presidents focus on “educating our group members on the stock market and trading.” said Anthony Amaru ’13 with Jake Hirschberg ’13. By the end of the year they hope to raise enough money to take a field trip to the New York Stock Exchange.

Every club has it’s own unique purpose whether it is to better our community, the school or yourselves. There is a wide variety of clubs to choose from this week so during your lunch period take a walk around the hallway next to the cafeteria to check out all of the possibilities.