A “Slice of Saugatuck”

The Slice of Saugatuck Festival, held on Saturday, September 17, featured over 30 of Saugatuck’s restaurants and shops. Westport residents were encouraged to walk around, sample food, paddle kayaks, and learn to fish, just to name a few. The festival showed all that Saugatuck has to offer and appealed to all ages with its food sampling, wine tasting, and fire safety tour.

The triangular area created by Riverside Avenue, Railroad Place, and Saugatuck Avenue comes together to resemble a slice of pizza. This area has undergone a few changes within the past year, the most notable being the opening of new apartments, a surf shop, and Mario Batali’s Tarry Lodge.

For three hours, from 12 p.m. – 3 p.m., Westporters snacked, got their hair braided, witnessed a Taekwondo demonstration, and more. Streets were closed to all traffic, allowing customers to wander the streets. Music played throughout the day and friends and neighbors talked outside while enjoying free food samplings from local restaurants. The sun was out and everyone enjoyed a beautiful day on the water.

The first annual festival was a success for all involved. The area was packed and visitors lined up outside stores to shop and sample what they had to offer. Westporters appreciated a part of town sometimes forgotten, but not lacking in culture, great food, and fun.

View Comments (1)